With two boys playing Super League baseball, we, as a family, are often sent off in different directions to watch our boys play. Today Kade played in Alpine, and Tag played in Salem. We were both able to watch Kade play his first game but Jared left in the middle of Kade's second game to take Tag to Salem. Jared was going to help coach Tag's game today because his coach was not going to be there. After Kade's second game, I headed off to Salem with my friend Elysa, to catch Tag's games. We were just leaving when Elysa received a phone call from her husband telling her that Tag had been hurt and that he had lost consciousness and was being taken to the hospital in an ambulance! I will try to tell the story as best I can from all the stories I gathered throughout the day. Jared and the two other guys who were coaching, decided to change things up a bit. They put Tag at shortstop, giving some other boys the opportunity to catch. The field they were playing on was a dirt infield and the funny thing is, that a dad had previously commented on how bad he hated dirt infields and that somebody was going to die someday. Well, a boy from the other team hit the ball, and it bounced in the dirt and came up hitting Tag right on the side of his neck. Tag told everyone that he was OK and the pitcher proceeded to throw another ball. Jared started noticing that Tag was swaying in the field and acting almost as if he were drunk. Jared called a timeout and went out to Tag to bring him off the field. Tag, told his dad that he was fine and not to pull him out of the game. Jared told him that he wasn't. They started walking off the field and Tag passed out before they got to third base. Jared threw the score book and laid Tag down, checking his airway and making sure that he didn't swallow his tongue. My friend Jen started running out on the field yelling that she knew CPR and everyone started gathering around. Thankfully, there happened to be a nurse and an EMT there that were watching games and they took care of him until the ambulance got there. It would be interesting to know how many 911 calls were made from the field today. By this time, Tag had regained consciousness and they were keeping him still. They cut his jersey so that they could monitor his heart, and strapped him to a backboard and headed of to Utah Valley Medical Center. They couldn't find a neck brace that fit, so they made one out of towels and masking tape! Meanwhile, my friend drops me off at the hospital and takes off with all my kids to the game. I run in, freaking out, that my boy was in this hospital somewhere and I needed to get to him. Well, I BEAT the stinkin' ambulance! When I first got the phone call, they must have still been on the baseball field stabilizing him for transport. They finally get him there and let me in to see him. I find Jared leaning over him telling him that he scared the crap..... and we all know that wasn't the word that was used... out of him and to never do that to him again! That is the first time I have ever seen Jared so worried. Wait..was that a tear I saw coming out of my dear husbands eye? We will never know, and he will never admit it:). Tag is home and OK, the CT didn't show any damage to his arteries and other than a big bruise and a bruised ego, he will live to see another day. The baseball boys were SO sweet. They put his hat up on the fence and every time they came out of the dugout they touched it for good luck. When they did their huddles, before going out in the field they would end by screaming "TAG" instead of "HITS". Jaxon and Zach came up to see him tonight and the text messages are still coming in. What a great bunch of boys! I love them all as my own. I have known most of them since they were in Kindergarten and I hope they will be friends for life.
First Day of School
10 years ago



3 comments:
WOW... tears in my eyes even if not Jared's. Glad things are ok. HATE feeling helpless. I'm no good and it and just getting started. Super happy to hear all is well. Papa John e-mailed me to let me know. You are being watched over even from AFRICA.
Wow! I am so glad that Tag is doing OK. What a scary night for all of you guys! That is great that the boys are so supportive. I love how they touched his hat every time they went out on the field. It's amazing how close you get when you play sports together. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out. You could bring your boys over, if you have to take him back to doctor appointments. Take care!
Glad TAG is doing great! It wouldn't be the same without his smiling face. Glad no one had a heart attack along with it and I'd have to agree with Jared-- lets not do it again. Lots of love and hope you have a good bruise at least to show off.- The daltons
Post a Comment